August 6, 2008

Blueberry Crumble Bars


At long last, I finally made a blog. After almost a year of lurking and drooling over other food blogs, I did it. I got a camera. I ordered a lens (please bear with me while I take pictures with this kit nonsense). I made blueberry crumble bars.

Most importantly, I ate blueberry crumble bars. Yummm...


Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh, right. Finally starting a blog. So here I am. Typing my first post. As I am not really sure how I should let this flow, I'll start by giving you a little insight into what to expect here at Buttermilk & Pinecones (more on the name in my profile).

I am somewhat of a health nut. I love substitutions. Paula Deen has the uncanny ability to make me cringe. If you are looking for healthier foods, but you are not willing to forfeit the decadence and flavor of your usual recipes, this will be the blog for you. I will show you how to preserve the substance of recipes with significantly less fat/sugar/etc. Also, I currently possess an exorbitant amount of recipes compiled from various food blogs and magazines, so I will be adapting and preparing these as I go. In fact, this post's blueberry gems are an internet find themselves. Ooo... I also have a weakness for organic/all-natural meals and snacks, so look forward to some reviews on those. Unless you are vehemently opposed to manufactured foods. Then just forget I ever said that. ;)


So on to the recipe! This scrumptious, crumbly, violet beauty originates from
Allrecipes.com, but I stumbled across it on the phenomenal smitten kitchen. The original recipe does contain two sticks of butter, but how can you resist that amethyst mating call? I had to bookmark it.

Blueberry Crumble Bars
Adapted from AllRecipes.com and smittenkitchen.com

To lower the fat in this recipe, I cut it in half, using a 9"x9" square pan in lieu of the 9"x13". I also substituted Smart Balance Light, but you can use whatever butter substitute you feel comfortable with. Next time, I will freeze the SBL before incorporating, as it softens much quicker than the suggested cold butter. I also used egg substitute instead of egg, which works nicely for the 1/2 egg called for in this halved recipe. Normally I would use at least half white whole wheat flour, but I didn't want to mar the contrast of purple and white. Following Deb's lemony lead, I incorporated 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract in to the dough. Ew. Do not do that. More candied lemon flavor than my tart citrus friend. Unpleasant. At least I know not to use that extract now. It wasn't even artificial, either. Ah well.

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cold butter substitute, such as Smart Balance Light
  • 2 tablespoons egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×9 inch pan.

2. In a medium bowl or food processor with a dough attachment, whiz together 1/2 cup sugar, 1-1/2 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter (or a whiz in the food processor) to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.

3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.




In the coming days, look forward to spinach pesto and honey seed bread, culminating in a tangy vegetarian sandwich. Bookmark me! Tell a friend!


0 comments: